10 Ways to Love Peanut Butter
Lately I’ve been all about the wacky National holidays/months and I found out that November is not only National Diabetes Awareness but also Peanut Butter Lovers month. This inspired me to write about peanut butter and the many ways to use it because I find it’s a food that is labeled “bad.” You can read more about my thoughts on labeling a food as good or bad in this post here.
Peanut butter (or any nut butter) is not bad for you. It contains healthy fats, protein, and oh yeah…tastes amazing! Some nut butters have added sugar and a little salt which are likely reasons why they get criticized. If you’re looking to decrease the added sugar you consume, go for a natural peanut butter with just nuts (or nuts and salt) as the ingredient.
My go-to peanut butter is Full Circle peanut butter from D&W. This is not an ad for them, it’s just one of my favorite types. I also eat Jiff Natural, Meijer brand, Justin’s, and more. I’m also a HUGE fan of almond butter…mmmmm…But, you’re here to see 10 ways to enjoy peanut butter so now I’ll deliver!
- With a spoon – sometimes just a spoonful of peanut butter helps the medicine go down…or is that sugar? I’d go for a spoonful of peanut butter any day. I will say I use my small spoon when I do this because peanut butter is one of those things I could use a soup ladle for and still want more.
- Spread or drizzled on toast, pancakes, or waffles
- Mixed into oatmeal
- Over sweet potatoes – say what!? Yes. It’s so good. Try it.
- In a smoothie – Especially with frozen bananas, almond milk, yogurt, cinnamon and a little vanilla extract.
- On a sandwich with jelly – Classic! I can’t tell you the last time I ate this classic yum, yum but it’s fun to add actual fruit to it too like sliced strawberries or apples.
- As a dip – with pears, apples, carrots, or celery
- Mixed in yogurt – I enjoy plain Greek yogurt (and flavored yogurts too) and one of my favorite things to add is peanut butter (or powdered peanut butter if you’re into that!) and blueberries.
- In a spicy pasta – Thai comes to mind when I think of a peanut sauce being added to pasta or salad…give me all the spicy Thai food!
- In beer – Craft breweries everywhere I think have been trying to master the peanut butter beer. I’ve had spicy peanut IPAs and peanut butter cup stouts, but one of my favorite beers of all time is the We Be Jammin’ peanut butter and jelly beer from Oddside Ales in Grand Haven, MI.
Though they didn’t make the top ten, two honorable mentions are peanut butter with scrambled eggs over toast or peanut butter on a burger. I’ve had both and didn’t hate either!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy peanut butter? Remember, it’s not a “bad” food, it happens to be higher in calories cause it’s full of nutrients that fill us up and can be apart of any daily eats. If you use peanut butter this month, put it on Instagram and tag me so I can see and get inspired 🙂 @the_beer_RD