Happy What’s for Dinner Wednesday! Just wanted to drop this ah-mazingly delicious chili that we (Steve and I) made up not too long ago. Why should you make it? I’ll tell you!
- Sweet potatoes are delicious and will give you some extra vitamin A for the day
- Corn is not a “bad” food, it’s tasty and adds more color & texture
- Turkey is lower in saturated fat than ground beef but also high in protein – very filling
- Chili warms your soul and is comforting when the weather gets colder
I’ve been talking a lot lately about the need to transition yourself for the change of seasons. Many of us start being less active and eating differently this time of year which could result in undesired weight changes. If you’ve struggled with staying active or eating healthy foods in the cold, make sure you’re thinking ahead to foods and activities that warm you up. For example, if you’re not going to walk at night now because it’s too cold, maybe you could walk the track at a school or local gym with a friend. Instead of cold cut baby carrots for a snack, roast a pound of them and sprinkle them with your favorite seasonings. Just my thoughts 🙂 let’s get that chili recipe to you!
One Pot: Sweet Potato & Turkey Chili
A savory dish that you can doctor up yourself with your favorite toppings
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 14.5 oz can of corn ((I choose low sodium))
- 1 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can of black beans ((I again chose low sodium))
- 2 large sweet potatoes (peeled & chopped)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 dash salt & pepper
Grab your soup pot! Cook your ground turkey over medium-high heat with your onion and spices.
Drain and rinse your canned corn and black beans.
Peel & chop your sweet potatoes
Put everything into your body and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Enjoy with crackers, tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream or plain yogurt, over noodles, or just with a spoon!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @The_Beer_RD on Instagram and hashtag it #theBeerRD