Simple Avocado Tomato Salad
It may not officially be summer yet but I am craving all things cold and salads lately! This one in particular is so easy to throw together and I have a couple of suggestions for bulking it up more too. Let’s dive in.
Summer is so exciting in Michigan! The farmer’s markets are opening and that means increased access to local, fresh produce to use. I am most excited about asparagus right now and I can’t wait for more tomatoes, cherries, and berries to start popping up too. Do you shop at your local farmer’s markets? Here’s why you might want to start:
- Freshly picked ripe food is at its peak in flavor and nutrition. Taste it and see for yourself!
- Farmers’ markets are everywhere and easy to find. There may be markets closer to you than you think.
- Supporting local communities and farms is important for your community
- It’s a great place to try a new fruit or vegetable! Farmers often have suggestions on how to prepare what they grow.
- Are you or do you have a picky eater? Have your family choose a new fruit or vegetable to prepare, the recipe, and be bold to trying new things even if you think you won’t like it.
This salad in particular will be excellent once those tomatoes start coming in! If you want to take this salad up a notch and make it more filling or substantial for a summer BBQ or for your weekly lunches, here’s what you could try:
- Add cooked orzo, barley, couscous, or pasta to it
- Add a cheese like feta or mozzarella balls
- Serve it over a baguette like you would a bruschetta
- Enjoy it sauteed with eggs in the morning
- Toss in a can of rinsed and drained beans such as black beans or chick peas
To me, this is the beauty of a recipe. Take what you find and ask yourself what purpose it is serving? Is it lunch for the week and if so will you be satisfied and satiated by it? Is it for a summer BBQ and you’re wanting an extra color? Is it a smaller party and you want it displayed on baguettes for some elegance points? This is what I do with recipes throughout the year, it helps me use them to the fullest extent instead of seeing leftovers go bad in a container.
Avocado Tomato Salad
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and chopped don't remove the skin
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- salt and/or pepper to taste
Chop all produce and mix in a medium sized bowl
Mix the vinegar and oil in a small bowl together and pour over produce
Turn the whole mixture over to coat it with the dressing
Enjoy with a pinch of salt and/or pepper if desired
Did you make this recipe? Send me a photo or better yet, leave a review or give it a rating! You can always tag me on Instagram @Holden_Nutrition!
With many things changing under the new CDC guidelines, I’m looking forward to a more “normal” summer. I know there is a lot still to process and learn about the last year and a half or so, but I have hope our future is getting brighter. How about you?
If you bring this salad to a party or to work sometime, make sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram or comment below!