What I’m Packing for Belgium
Okay, so we are officially eight days away from our trip. AH!! We are getting SO pumped. I thought it would be fun to show you all what I’m packing because it has been my mission to keep my packing as light as possible.
The reason I wanted to pack as light as possible is because I usually pack a TON of extra, well, everything. This lends me to feel overwhelmed by the amount of choices I have once I arrive, which is the last feeling you want on vacation. I made sure to pack clothes that I could wear twice and that I could layer together. Also, I don’t know if it’s just me or not but I really like buying new clothes/outfits before vacation. It’s silly right? You know you’re going on vacation and will be spending money but you want something new to wear when you’re there! Maybe it’s just me!? Please tell me it’s not just me.
I’m lucky though because my mom let me raid her closet and she has awesome taste. We pretty much wear the same sizes and since Steve and I are on a tight budget right now, I opted to
steal borrow as much as I could from her. Thanks, momma!
Details for planning
- Length of time – 10 days, one location as a home base
- Average weather – 50-55 degrees
- Bag limits / checking – we’ll be flying Delta so we can both have a carry on + personal bag and together we can have one free checked bag.
- Activities while there – lots of walking, photography, and probably a LOT of tasting craft beer, waffles & chocolate. In fact if every day included all of that, I’d be fine.
- We aren’t planning any hikes but will look for parks / trails upon arrival
- We’ll tour some museums
- We want to be comfortable on our feet all day and with a backpack on for day trips.
- Is there a washer/dryer – yes, for some reason we are lucky but if there wasn’t I usually travel with a little detergent so we can wash a couple things in the sink (or get out stains as that is inevitable).
what I packed
- One pair of jeans
- One pair of solid leggings (I say solid because they’re sturdier than my at home, loungey leggings)
- One pair of soft black travel pants
- Three T’s/Tanks (total) – 1 gray long t-shirt (not pictured), 1 long black tank, 1 long white tank
- One cardigan – I chose my charcoal Toad & Co cardigan that is so soft and layers over pretty much any color
- Four light long sleeves – these could be layers or worn on their own
- One tunic long sleeve – this is almost a dress but I wouldn’t wear it without leggings or jeans
- One thicker sweater – (light brown in photos below)
- One light gray basic dress – this can then have lots of changes either with jewelry or practically any long shirt I brought can go over it.
- One scarf – This helps to change up a look, they pack nicely, and can be an easy addition if its cold out
- One jacket – my mom let me borrow her nice wind and rain proof jacket that is perfect for the weather we should be having + it has a hood
- One pair of tennis shoes – these I’ll wear on the plane
- One pair of flats – cause fancy.
- One pair of light gray boots – I’m still debating on bringing these or not.
- Two regular bras / one sport bra
- 4-5 pairs of undies (easy to wash/fast drying)
- 4-5 pairs of socks – I wear a lot of SmartWool socks that you can wear multiple times and not have any smelly issues 😉
- Phone / charger / outlet convert
- Purse – again, borrowing from my mom. Super sturdy and big enough for me to put my camera inside of it
- Couple of easy travel games
- Steve’s small computer
- Glasses / Sun Glasses
There you have it! It’s a complete list of what I’m bringing. All of which fits just in my two carry-on’s! But we will still check one bag so that we can bring back goodies or put dirty clothes in there towards the end of the trip. I am honestly quite proud of myself because even while I worked on this post I thought, OH what about that shirt? And that one? And that dress? And those pants? and that skirt? No. No thank you, I will travel minimally for the first time and be proud of that.
Have you every tried to pack as little as possible? Does it work out? What helps you travel minimally? Also, we’ll be in Belgium (and some other parts of Europe) so if there’s something I missed, please share!